Almost There: Currently Digging: Elegantly Wasted

Monday, March 4, 2013

Currently Digging: Elegantly Wasted

Fun fact: Before I created Almost There I was going to create a book review website. Why? Well, if you know me then you know I'm obsessed with reading and writing. I have so many books it's ridiculous (and wonderful)! Reading is simply the thing I love to do the most. I have hundreds of books, a Nook (I call her Nookina), and a Kindle (though, my father has kidnapped her for traveling).

So, to summarize: I LOVE READING!

I'm always on the search for a new book to captivate me--a book that has a plot that's interesting, characters that are original, and writing that is smooth. Now, so far I've stayed away from doing book reviews/recommendations on Almost There but I'm breaking that rule today.

Today I want to convince you that you need to read Elegantly Wasted. Not only read it but fall in delicious, naughty love with it like I did.




Elegantly Wasted is written by C. Elizabeth Vescio, a woman who literally made me laugh out loud and yell "Oh shit!" while reading her book in bed. Her site's About page would have been enough to make me buy her book on spot had I not already found it. This woman is a "Jack of all trades and stereotypical black sheep" who uses phrases like "huge douche canoe." If that wasn't enough to grab my interest, the fact that takes her life inspirations from Neil Gaiman, Julia Child and Paul Simon certainly did. I'm big on Neil Gaiman. (Neverwhere made me fall for him.) I could babble some more about this woman I've never met but I'll direct you here to read more about her.

Now, I want to make one thing very clear here: if you don't have a sense of humor, if you flinch at profanity, if the idea of killing people as a profession makes you get down on your knees and immediately start praying, then perhaps you should stay away from this written gold. However, if you like strong women, exciting plots, mental instability and families that are most likely more messed up than your's, buy this book.

If you think this book is too much for you but you have a love for 50 Shades then SHAME. This book has layers. This book has feeling (and lack thereof). This book has family values, even if they are a little off.

Here's the overview that can be found here on Vescio's site:
“Just because I kill people, doesn’t mean I’m a bad person...” 
On the eve of her high school graduation, proper socialite Francesca “Frankie” Fairholm rebelled against her elitist and controlling family to pursue the dark lifestyle of a contract killer for the enigmatic Osiris Corporation. Years later, with her training complete, she believes she's doomed to the life of a sociopathic lone gun until a botched hit brings two unlikely allies, her cousins Addison and Katharine. 
Using Katharine’s etiquette school, Elegance, Inc., as a front, the trio weave through Frankie’s dark underworld, carrying out contracts, drinking too much wine, and trying not to get each other killed. 
Trouble follows the team home when the death of the cruel Fairholm matriarch reveals more than they ever wanted to know about their family. As the funeral preparations play out, the trio begin to realize there is much more to their employer than meets the eye and their family connections run deeper than they ever imagined. 
To read the first chapter go here.

Let me go ahead and stop those of you who think that it may sound cheesy. Read the first chapter and realize that it's fun and intriguing. Hell, buy the book on Nook or Kindle. It's only $3.99.

Elegantly Wasted is a wild, drunk, medicated, murderous, fun ride and I can't wait for the second one. It showed me a family that I could relate to and made me realize that I may have just a hint of a darker side in me. 

You want to read a great book with an unconventional yet great leading lady? Elegantly Wasted is right up your alley.

-Tyler Anne (aka Chick Tyler)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for writing this amazing review. I'm so happy to hear how much you loved the story! I'm also glad you're a fan of the phrase douche canoe. It's my favorite. <3

    Book two is in the works. Steering this family into a whole new set of messy adventures.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover