Almost There: DIY: Tissue Bow Ties

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

DIY: Tissue Bow Ties

I'm not going to lie to you, folks. I was originally going for something like this for today's DIY. Saint Patty's is so close that I wanted a DIY or two that could jive with parties you may be going to or throwing. A green and black bow tie necklace seemed like a fun thing to try. WELL, I didn't make them as pretty as Oh Happy Day but I did do the whole trial-and-error thing and now know how to make little tissue bow ties. 

Why would I ever need to know how to do that? Because, come on, having more crafty things in my crafty arsenal is always a plus!

What you need
Tissue Paper
String
Tacky Glue
Scissors

What to do
First, cut off a square of tissue paper. Then fold the paper fan-style, accordian-style, whichever way it's called. Pinch the middle and use a little scrap of tissue to wrap around it. Before your wrap put a dab of glue on each side to hold the paper in place.
If you want to make a necklace or garland then put some glue on the back of your bow tie and let it sit against your string. 
DONE!

What did I do wrong? Why isn't it so pretty and all of that jazz? I made my folds too thick and the middle strip just as thick so it looked odd. Then, realizing what I had done, I made the folds and strips that tied the middle together smaller. I quite like the way they look now. Trial-and-error, peeps! 

You can see the difference between the thicker ones and the thinner ones. I'm going to make new necklaces this week that will be prettier. In the end I'm happy I did this DIY because now I can make cute little bow ties! Who doesn't geek out about that?

-Tyler Anne (aka Chick Tyler)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover