Almost There: DIY: Natural Home Scents

Friday, January 18, 2013

DIY: Natural Home Scents




You may have seen some version of these DIY natural home scents in jars. The Yummy Life did a post on it that went viral last year. 

I decided to try some versions of my own, based off her ideas of using jars and the scents my mom uses at home.

Joseph and I are in the process of fixing up our future married people house, and it's old and kinda smelly. You know that old house smell they get when no one lives in them for a while? 

It needs freshening things up, so I want to go with natural smells, and I also don't want to pay too much for any type of plug in. (They are just more expensive than what I think they need to be!) Also, we are allergic to just about everything on the planet, so natural is the way to go for us. 

Since I don't live there, I also need something ready to go for when I am making a trip over there. That's where the jars come into play.  You can make your scents and store them in the fridge for about two weeks, so next time I make a sporadic trip to my home, I can just grab one and go!



All of the scents are citrus based. I used about two oranges in three jars. 

Then I did three different versions: Cinnamon and Clove; Vanilla and Ginger; and Peppermint and Pine.

Cinnamon Clove: I used about four orange rings and a teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and cloves. (Whole cinnamon sticks or cloves would have probably worked out even better, but I didn't have any handy). 

Vanilla Ginger: Again, I used four or five orange rings, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract and ginger spice.

Mint Pine: This one sounds a little strange, I'll admit. But it is so refreshing. Joseph even said it was probably his favorite. I used my orange rings and about a teaspoon of peppermint extract. Then i sprinkled in a few mint leaves and picked a few sprigs of pine off a tree. It actually makes it really pretty. 

I plan to take a crock pot to my new house and turn the heat on low with an open lid to let them really scent up my home. 

I'm so excited about these because even without heating them, my kitchen has smelled awesome for hours! 

—Holli Anne

5 comments:

  1. mmmm I need some yummy smells in our new place too! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing! Let me know if you do any and how they turn out!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover