Almost There: Yay or Nay with Wall Décor

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Yay or Nay with Wall Décor

What I like about Design World's new blog (here) is that they have a weekly featured called "Yay or Nay." They post different decorating ideas that are trending and ask their audience yay or nay. Very simple, very effective.

The past two weeks had two blog posts that really interested me. Last week's post (Yay or Nay: Picture Frame Decorating) and this week's post (Yay or Nay: Plate Decorating) are about decorating the walls with unique accessories.

Now I want to go ahead and say YAY for both of these but only if you do it right.

Things that work for me: 
  • Same color frames but in difference sizes. 
  • Mismatched frames that are variations of one specific color.
  • Crowding frames but with the same amount of space between each frame so it doesn't look cluttered. 
Things that don't work for me:
  • I'm not a big fan of making an overall shape with the frames (like a heart). I don't think it's tacky by any means, it's just not my style.
  • Every frame being a different color. This makes it way too busy for me.



Things that work for me: 
  • I love, love, love having every plate unique. Unlike the picture frames, for some reason I can handle all different colors and styles with plates.
  • I'm a big fan of the flow placement. It doesn't have to be boxy overall and the space between each plate can vary.
Things that don't work for me:
  • I'm not a fan of having plates on shelves. I think I just prefer seeing them on the wall as wall art.
  • Not a fan of plate layering.
Even though there are things I don't like about each style, I still very much dig them. I'm probably a bigger fan of plate decorating, especially if you find really unique ones from vintage stores/thrift shops.

So, how do you stand? 
Picture framing decorating...yay or nay? 
Plate decorating...yay or nay? 


All pictures can be found on Pinterest. I made the picture collages for Design World's blog posts. 




1 comment:

  1. Yay to both! But you're right - has to be done right. I'm very much in love with all those random patterned plates spread over the walls.. might have to start collecting :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover