Almost There: DIY: Box Letter (Winter Pinterest Challenge)

Thursday, February 28, 2013

DIY: Box Letter (Winter Pinterest Challenge)

I'm all about odd decorations. If you read my first post of Home Details: Office then you already know of a few I've recently made and put up. I really want to put more pieces on this wall so when I came across Young House Love's recent post (Winter Pinterest Challenge), I knew exactly which Pinterest pin I wanted to make.

Spearmint Baby has a DIY for Fabric Wrapped Letter for Nursery (see here for the pin) and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to make my own version of it. Now, I'm not pregnant and I don't have any kids but, again, I like bold decorative pieces. So, I grabbed a box (I literally just unpacked it) and got to work.

First, I cut off two of the box flaps into the shape of a T (for my name, of course). I used regular scissors and it was a four on the pain-in-the-butt meter, but nothing like crying-in-frustration mode I get in when using an Xacto knife.

Next I used the pieces of the box flaps that were leftover and measured out how big they should be to connect the two Ts that I had already cut out. I used a hot glue gun to put these pieces together. 

I highly suggest you watch a TV show while you do this--something that you can focus on but still manage to work without burning your fingers with the lava glue. Netflix was my friend during this DIY.

After I put the T all together I went ahead and grabbed an old shirt to use as the fabric covering. I've always been a fan of the shirt's color and thought it would look really nice on the wall with the other pieces. 

I took the fabric and hot glued the ends on the back. I like the look of bundled cloth so I didn't make the fabric stretch against the cardboard. When I was satisfied with how it turned out, I glued a square piece of cardboard on the back of the T and then two Command Strips (specifically these) on that. Then I stuck that baby to the wall!

I have to say, I'm happy with the outcome! What is also cool about this DIY is that you can alter the design to your liking and use it for parties, decorations, or cute little handmade gifts!

If you haven't check out Young House Love or Spearmint Baby, then I suggest you do. Also, go ahead and participate in YHL's Winter Pinterest Challenge!

-Tyler Anne (aka Chick Tyler)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover